This year I have decided that I will be participating in the infamous No Stirrup November, but I am not dropping the irons for every ride for the entire month. Instead, I am following my own rules for the sake of my horse and myself.
Week by week, I will be documenting my adventures in NSN, feel free to join in or just follow along. Check out week one!
Welcome to No Stirrup November, week two.
Saturday, November 8th
- Today was another BCET IHSA show. Since losing your stirrups in the show ring without being asked to isn’t suggested, I kept my irons. I did have to ride my you-know-what off in my flat class though, so it wasn’t just an easy day.
Sunday, November 9th
- Another day off. (I know. I am not doing so hot this week.) Smartpak was having a sale and I had a jacket to return, so I did some pony shopping instead. I mean really, no stirrups or horsey retail therapy…what would you choose? (P.S. I FINALLY bought a pair of Pipers, so keep an eye out for a review soon!)
Monday, November 10th – Day 7
- Oh man, today was Rough with a capital “R”. After a few days off, we spent the first ten minutes spooking at the mysterious NOTHING that was down the driveway. (For the record, Ax is NOT normally a spooky guy. It usually requires too much energy and movement.) By the time Ax finished puffing up and snorting like a dragon it was pitch black and we were forced into the indoor where there was already a lesson going on. It just went downhill from there. Ax was all worked up and nervous, so there was no swing in his gaits. I still dropped my irons because it had been a few days, but none of it was pleasant. Ax was tight and choppy, causing me to clamp on with my legs and creating a viscous cycle. I finally got a little relaxation at the trot with and without stirrups and called it quits. Just as I took my feet out of the irons and loosened my reins, my horse was gone from underneath me and I was belly-down in the dirt (on top of my already-broken finger). The boogey-man (aka another horse being put outside) had walked by the side doors and sent Ax flying sideways. I am pretty sure I scared the crud out of the little girl in the lesson that was going. Of course, I had to get back on and go past the door a million times before I got off the correct way. We were definitely done after that.
Tuesday, November 11th – Day 8
- I woke up this morning feeling like someone beat me with a pillowcase of bricks. Nonetheless, today was a day off and Ill be darned if I wasn’t going to spend my day at the barn. My friend and I chose to ride to the park since it was beautiful out and we had unlimited time. Ax only had a few “yeehaws” to get out before I felt secure enough to ditch my stirrups. Because cantering in a big field typically turns to Ax galloping away with me, I stuck to some trot and that was it. I was already pretty sore from my meeting with the indoor footing the day before, so I kept it simple. Check out all the pictures here, shout out to my boyfriend who spent the day chasing us with a camera!
Wednesday, November 12th
- They say you feel it more a few days later, well whoever “they” are seemed to be 100% right. If yesterday was bricks, than today was after being run over by a truck. The park ride really wore Ax out, so I chose to give him today off and just rode in my lesson. No NSN today.
Thursday, November 13th
- Ax got another day off today mostly because I have a HUGE paper due tomorrow night, like sixteen-pages-and-half-of-my-final-grade huge, so I had to give up riding today and type until my fingers bled. Sad, I know, but something has got to give and my GPA is not about to be it.
Friday, November 14th – Day 9
- I am seriously slacking this week, so today I gave myself no choice and I ended up having a perfect ride, no stirrups and all.
On to week three!
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…
6 thoughts on “No Stirrup November: Week Two”
I haven’t ridden for quite a while, but I do have memories of being very sore on “No stirrups day” at riding camp. :-}
YAY! I hope you love the Pipers as much as I do! 🙂
bummer about the fall! sounds like everything else went pretty well tho – that trot pic of Ax is beautiful!!
I always kinda think we should get extra points for losing our stirrups on course, right?!
LikeLiked by 1 person